Lemon Tea Cakes
TO MAKE THE CAKES
• Heat the oven to 350°F. Coat 24 large muffin cups or 3-inch mini-cake pans with nonstick baking spray or butter.
• Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
• In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
• Mix the crème fraiche, eggs, lemon zest and juice together in a small bowl with a fork or small whisk. With the mixer on medium speed, alternately add the dry and wet ingredients in batches and continue beating until the batter is smooth, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl, about 3 minutes.
•.Using a large ice cream scoop or a large spoon, scoop approximately 1/2 cup batter into each prepared muffin or cake cup. Bake for 18 minutes, or until the tops of the cakes appear matte and the shiny center has disappeared; do not bake until golden. Let the cakes cool before removing them. Cool cakes completely before glazing.
TO MAKE THE GLAZE
• Sift the confectioners’ sugar into a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice and pomegranate juice and stir with a small spatula until completely smooth. Let the glaze sit at room temperature for10 minutes before using.
TO GLAZE THE CAKES
• Pour the glaze into a wide shallow bowl. One at a time, pick up each cake, rotate the cake so the top is facing down, and dip into the glaze. Carefully move the cake in a slow circular motion so the entire surface is coated with glaze, then shake gently so any excess glaze falls back in the bowl. Put the cakes in a cool, dry area and let stand until glaze loses its sheen, and sets, about 20 minutes.